Who am I?

I am a writing and publishing guru. What I dont know about the market just isn't worth knowing. So what if I'm unpublished? I choose to give other writers the gift of my wisdom and experience* that the other 500,000 writing blogs out there fail to give.
* No actual experience

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Champion Procrastinator

If procrastination were an Olympic event, I'd be a Gold Medal contender.
For many years, I've wanted to be a writer. Wished for it! Dreamed about it!
But when it came to actually sitting down and working on a manuscript - well, other things always seemed to get in the way.
Writing's a bit like hard work. I'll get around to it. Eventually.
Once I hit the wrong side of forty, with no written works to show for it, I realised that it was time to take action. I needed to get serious about this business, and make some choices.
Procrastination is about making the easy choice, that's all.
Whenever I thought about sitting down to do the tough and lonely business of crafting a story, a little voice offered other options. Seductive options that were always easier than writing.
Beating procrastination is about making the tough choice.
I've been getting into the habit of arguing with that little voice, and gradually winning.
Guess what?
I've completed a number of short stories, I'm powering through a novel. A friend and I are starting to write a non-fiction manual. And I've had a short story accepted into an anthology.
All while looking after three children, keeping a part-time job and sitting on a committee. And maintaining a semblance of a social life.
The challenge now is to not sit on my laurels, and continue making the tough choice.
This blog is my record of the battle between my willpower, and my tendency towards laziness.
I invite other writers to contribute tales of their favourite ways to procrastinate - particularly what the little voice is saying.
Then I (and followers) can contribute our thoughts on how to beat the voice with the power of logical argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment